© Marcus Roberts


Bookmark this page |  E-mail this page to a friend

Pages < 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   > 

In addition to the usual forms of commerce, it seems that Rabbi Cohen's school did set the precedent for a number of other small Jewish schools to be set up in Dover, some of which have already been mentioned. To this list may be added other Jewish ladies schools that were generally run by the daughters of the more prominent members of the Jewish community for the daughters of well-to-do Jewish families from London and elsewhere.

The 'Misses Hart' ran 'Minerva College' at 75-76 Folkestone Road. This college listed in 1894 and 1898 would have been close to Westmount, the site of both Cohen's and Barnsteins' schools. A Miss Cohen, ran a ladies school at 1 Priory Gate Road, near the railway station, just off the beginning of the Folkestone Road. It has been related earlier that Therese Cohen ran a distinctly upper class establishment at Marine House in Liverpool Street. Liverpool Street no longer survives but met the end of Camden Crescent which starts at New Bridge i.e. near to the site of the synagogue. Liverpool Street then ran parallel to the present Marine Parade, the A20.

Henry Hart the notable Jewish Mayor and Alderman of Canterbury, moved to Dover and became a leading member of the community and town. He shifted his home and center of operations to Dover, due it would seem in part to business opportunity and to the tragic deaths of his first wife and some of his children in the early 1870s and to his subsequent remarriage. His store at Waterloo Place, next to the market square, became a leading store in the town and this with other business interests made him one of the leading men in Dover.

The life of the community continued uninterrupted through the late 19th century into the early 20th century. Harfield's commercial directory of English Jews in 1894 lists nine Jewish businesses in Dover, including jewellers and silversmiths, pawnbrokers, furnishers, dealers in antiques and curios, clothiers, dentists, and educators. Almost all of the Jewish businesses were still concentrated in Snargate Street, then the principal street in Dover.

The Jewish population of Dover appears to have been at best fairly static from the latter part of the 19th century onwards until the First World War. An examination of a range of records suggests that there were still about 11 or 12 families resident in Dover in the 1890s making the community about the same in number as nearly 50 years before.

Post a Comment
Submit to this trail